Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Keep On Keepin' On


I’m having a bad day today. Normally I try not to let things bother me. That’s right I said “try.” It’s hard as hell. But I’ve learned that through years and years and years of loss, disappointment, and bull crap.

Still, I have a million and one reasons to never give up. On anything. I’ve been known to be so down that I swear I’m giving up on something or someone. But it’s false. I’ve said the words out of hurt or anger. I know I shouldn’t, but it happens to the best of us. I’ll never do it. Giving up would likely break my heart.

My kids (daughter and step kids). They bring me joy, sadness, anger, pride. But I love each one of them and would do anything in my power for them.

My family.

My friends.

Love.

Music.

Pretty much everything is part of my reason for never giving up.

But I also have another reason. In 2000 my best friend committed suicide. It was painful, and for years I struggled with coping with his loss.

I keep his picture in the writing nook I created. I look at his photo and I remember the person he was, who he tried to be, what he taught me through the time I knew him and in his death. I remember what it was like to lose him the most. And I’d never wish that loss on anyone, though thousands have suffered that.

Those are my reasons for “keep on keepin’ on.”

If you’d like to share your reason, I’d love to hear it.

Everyone has their reasons they refuse to give up, the reason that when they have a bad day they get up and try again. They move on, press through the muck and weeds and come out on the other side dirtier, more tired, but proud.

Maybe you’re like me and have several reasons. Maybe you just have one. Whatever that reason is, don’t ever forget it. Hold it close to your heart, hold it tight and don’t let go.

Don’t. Give. Up.

5 comments:

Comments Make Me Smile