Monday, May 13, 2013

Release Blitz - The Warrior's Code by David James


Blurb
The Warrior’s Code (Book 1.2) is an e-format prequel short story in the Legend of the Dreamer series that can be read before or after Light of the Moon (Book 1). Live by the Code. Die by the Code. In the magical world of the Order, Warriors fight for justice, freedom, and peace. Becoming a Warrior is an honor given to few, and twelve-year-olds Zackery Solts and Kate Black will do anything to have a place among the elite. Zack and Kate must compete against eighteen others and pass three deadly tests of courage and skill. Above all, they must be strong because while the dangers of the tests are unknown, one thing is clear: not everyone will survive.

EEEEEP! It's live - LIVE!!!!

Purchase it here -
Amazon
Amazon UK
Nook
While you're there, check out his other titles. Light of the Moon and The Witch's Curse (So in love with these books. Must read.)


David James is awesome.

Here's chapter one!



Chapter One
Before

I opened my eyes to darkness closing in, to phantom voices screaming. To the world falling.
I closed my eyes against heavy memories, but they only flared brighter, living like eternal ghosts in the darkness beneath my blanket, so cruel they would never leave completely.
Still, I tried to make them fade to something less. Tried to squeeze my eyes so tightly closed that the voices in my head were destroyed by black and white spots of nothing. But even when the voices became whispers barely more than breathing, the darkness still sounded with the pain of two years ago.
There were some ghosts that would never be free, some dark memories that would never find light.

“Open your eyes, Zack!” Warden shouted, her voice cracking in the dark, hollow room. “I know you ain’t sleeping you little mutt.”
I closed my eyes tighter.
Let my lungs burn and scream for air.
Kept my body still as death.
This close, I could taste her breath against my face: a fetid cloud of warm, damp air.
She spat, “You don’t get up now and there’ll be no breakfast for you, I’ll make sure of it.”
I pretended I was dead.
There was a moment of silence.
Then-
something heavy flying through the air-
rushing wind storming against it-
and her hand connected with my still face.
I couldn’t help it: my mouth opened and a gasp escaped into the cold morning like fog. I sucked air back in and felt the frigid winter hurt deep inside me. My eyes burst open and, in that moment, I saw the room shine bright with a hundred violent stars; thirty beds lined perfectly against the walls like lonely white graves.
“I knew it!” Warden’s laugh blew in my face. “I knew you were faking. All you boys think you get the best of me. Well, I got news for you. You get the best of no one. You hear me, Zack? That’s why you’re in this place to begin with. You ain’t never leaving, either. Just like the rest. This is all you got. Ain’t much but guess what? It’s the best you’ll ever get no matter how hard you try.”
I closed my eyes again and turned away, pulled the stiff sheet over my head and buried myself deeper.
“You can hide those half-breed green eyes all you want,” she said against the sounds of her tongue slapping in and out of her mouth. Her voice spilled out in slurs of words that never stopped. “But I see the way those eyes of yours look
around, see who they crave most of all. I see what you are. Unnatural. Thinking boys could love you like girls should.”
Her breathing got louder as she moved close; the sheet became a ghost, puffing in and out with her heavy sighs.
The ghost whispered, “And let me tell you this: You got no one. No boy, no one at all, will ever love a pathetic little half-breed mutt like you.”
Her laugh cut the air as she scraped a nail down the sheet near my face. I opened my eyes slightly and could see the haunted white poke down against a blood-red nail.
She whispered, “You will never be anything more than a lost boy in this orphanage, Zack.” The sheet popped back. “You are nothing but a sick dirty mutt child. You want a family? Too bad. No one wants a ten-year-old boy. Not one that looks like he rolled in mud.”
I wanted death.
As Warden raised her hand once more, I closed my eyes and pretended.

“I know you’re awake,” said a voice against my closed eyes. “I can see your lips moving, and you’re breathing too heavily to be asleep. Saol just taught us to look for those signs yesterday, Zack.”
My eyes fluttered open, and I saw a girl peeking just over my bunk, her eyes shining against her tan, golden skin; bright violet suns in the dim light of the empty dorm. A slight smile pulled at one side of her mouth.
“Your hair looks like it got in a fight with Saol and lost,” Kate said. “Not that you could ever beat someone like Saol anyway. Good dreams?”
I almost laughed. “Not even slightly.”
“Me neither.”
I stretched my arms behind my head and yawned. “I’m beginning to think that’s a requirement for being in the Order. No one I’ve met here ever has anything but nightmares.”
“Well, now I understand why Taliah always looks like she’s smelling something nasty. Must be all those bad dreams.” She grinned. Her smile lit up her face and I found myself reminded that she was pretty in the same way a hurricane was; dangerous and deadly beautiful.


Here's the mastermind that makes me wish I could build a fort in his brain. (I'll admit it, total fangirl. STILL, you hear that Boss Man? You rock! <3 )


Author Bio
David James writes books about stars and kisses and curses. He is the author of the YA novel, LIGHT OF THE MOON, the first book in the Legend of the Dreamer duet, as well as the companion novellas, THE WITCH'S CURSE and THE WARRIOR’S CODE. A Legend of the Dreamer anthology, SHADES OF THE STARS, will be released in July 2013, and will include the exclusive novella, THE ENCHANTER'S FIRE. The final book in the duet, SHADOW OF THE SUN, will be released in late 2013. Living in Michigan, he is addicted to coffee, gummy things, and sarcastic comments. He enjoys bad movies, goofy moments, and shivery nights. Be sure to visit David’s blog and facebook to learn more about his various addictions and novels.

Go get The Warrior's Code. *dances to Amazon* Come join me!!!!
OR
If you have more patience than I do... Enter the giveaway -----

a Rafflecopter giveaway

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Make Me Smile