Monday, July 29, 2013

Ivy League by Chris Waltz blog tour stop!!!

EEEPPPP!!!!!
I'm so excited about this!!!

Okay, here's the book!



“Within a few months, everything changed for me, and as anyone could probably guess already, not for the better. Life, itself, began to fall apart...

But I guess that’s what happens when you become a teenage drug-dealer.”

Jamie Brewer has just gotten the one piece of mail he’s been waiting for his 
whole life: his college acceptance letter. But when a series of unfortunate events makes paying tuition to one of the most prestigious universities in the country practically impossible, Jamie makes a decision that will not only provide him with the cash he needs, but may also get him killed in the process…

Selling drugs starts out well for Jamie, but things quickly begin to spiral out of control: his best friend and girlfriend are weary of his career choice, a local police officer is determined to catch him in the act, and worst, his partner in crime, Gabe, may be more dangerous than anyone ever imagined.

What begins as fun and games is about to become much more serious, causing Jamie to question just how far he will go and who’s lives he will risk in order to become Ivy League



Moment of honesty. I know this author, bought the book months ago, did not read it. Why? Well, honestly I think part of me forgot I had an unread book on the shelf, the other part, I was afraid. Not of the book or the content. But that I either would love it, and turn our friendship into me fangirling every time he favorites my tweet or sends me mush, or that I would hate it...which is something I don't like. I hate to hate a book. It eats away at me.
Anyway, I joined the his blog tour for a review, which I swear I'm getting to, and an INTERVIEW.... hehe... I LOVE INTERVIEWING!

NEWS FLASH.... I do NOT hate this book.
Yes, that means you should go purchase this book AND read it right away. DO NOT do what I did and wait for months on end... 
My review- (Which I wrote as soon as I finished so it remained fresh.)

So I just finished reading Ivy League by Chris Waltz.
*Stops a minute to catch breath*
WOW.
First, these characters have depth. If you think back to your own high school…you can probably pinpoint the Jamie or Gabe of your class, even an Airic or Riley.
Airic is a Jiminey Cricket kind of guy. The guy always there for you, wanting to help, and has a good conscious. He’s a great best friend, and genuinely cares about the well-being of his friends.
Riley was a pretty kickass person too. I can’t say too many people would likely be alright with what she was alright with. Can’t say she was feeling that way through the entire story, but she had hope.
Gabe is one scary dude. I really can’t say much else. He has a quality to him that makes you want to like him, trust him, even love him. But then he’s got this edge, sharp as a razor, and makes you wonder if you’ve been dooped into thinking he’s trustworthy.
Jamie is a guy in a tough situation. He’s faced with tough decisions and educates himself to the best of his ability before following through. Granted, his decisions may not always be the best…but no one is perfect.
I really enjoyed this story. It’s gritty and refreshing all at the same time. I love that Jamie chooses the cartoon devil on his shoulder more often than not. There’s too many books about goodie goodies choosing the right path, or attempting to. This main character knows he’s choosing the wrong path, but does it regardless. He has his own reasons for doing so. I can’t say I “approve” of his career path but it’s a decision that many are faced with. 

*** Purchase Ivy League on Amazon HERE

Meet the Author

This is Chris (or as I call him, Toph.)

Christopher Waltz was born in Indiana in 1987 and promptly began writing once leaving the womb. While this is a complete lie, Christopher did begin writing around age eight at which point he penned and illustrated a sequel to the film "Jumanji."

Since that time, Christopher has continued writing and obtained a degree in 
secondary education from Indiana University's School of Education. He currently works with a non-profit organization and writes, hoping to one day be a famous and influential author.

He has recently published his first novella, "Come as you are" on the Amazon Kindle Store and lulu.com.
***Purchase Come As You Are HERE


Now it's time for the interview! :D

How do you handle book jitters? Like when you release a book, or send to an editor, what do you do to relax or take your mind off of it?
For me, when I send something to be edited, the relaxation comes by knowing that I’m working to make it better. It’s always nerve-wracking to get it back and see all these corrections and mistakes, but had I not sent it out in the first place, those would never have been found… you know, until a reader pointed them out to me, which has happened and feels terrible.

Do you have a focusing technique?
The only thing that really focuses me is complete silence. I know a lot of people listen to music while they write, or do other things, but if it’s completely quiet, I’ll be in a better place. Coffee helps too.

Where is your favorite place to write?
I actually really like to write in my bed; it’s comfortable and familiar, so being able to just get into bed with my laptop also puts me in a good place. These answers are starting to make me sound like a hermit though…

What's the first thing you do when an idea comes to you?
I have to jot it down. If I don’t write it somewhere, on a napkin, in a notebook, somewhere, I risk losing it. I try to keep a Word document with all my ideas in it, but if I’m not near a computer when the idea hits, I’ll basically write it anywhere. I’ve even written ideas on my hand or arm before if no paper is around.

What's your biggest pet peeve?
Hmmm. As far as my own writing, my biggest pet peeve is using the same word too many times. I’ll go through my works in progress and see where I use the same word over and over. I may not see the word for ten or twelve pages at a time, but I have “go-to” words and I know what they are. One of them is “suddenly.”

Is there anything one of your characters have said/done that made you uncomfortable, even to write it?
There’s a scene in Ivy League where Gabe beats someone with a baseball bat. That really made me uncomfortable, not only to write, but to even include in the story. I knew I wanted it to be a gritty, terrifying scene, especially for Jamie who is watching it all happen from inside a car, but at the same time, I just kept thinking “this is wrong.” I mean, Gabe really doesn’t hold back; he’s threatening this guy, who is a teenager, and when the teenager finally is able to speak, his words are all muffled from being beaten. I almost took the entire scene out, but I kept it because I needed the readers to see how intense and how unstable Gabe really was.

Can you tell me anything about your next release?
It’s all up in the air right now! I’m currently working on an Ivy League sequel and a new, standalone called Nineteen, but I have no idea when or if either of them will ever see the light of day. I go through phases where my life is insanely busy and writing has to take the backburner. I hate it, but I have to prioritize sometimes. I plan to get back into writing again within the next few weeks.

Do you do anything special when you complete a WIP? (Funny dance? Tears of joy? Play pranks?)
I think I do a lot of reflection. And to be honest, and I’m sure you can agree, a work in progress never really feels done. So, I sit down, think about everything I just wrote, and wonder what I can change to make it better. I re-read everything and ask myself if it even makes sense, and if I’m lucky, it does.

Have you always wanted to be an author?
I hate to answer that question with a ‘no,’ but I really haven’t always wanted to be an author. I go through phases; I’ve wanted to be an actor, a hairstylist, an artist, a director… You name it, I’ve wanted to do it. I have wanted to be an author since about age eight though, so I think it has been the career choice that has stuck the longest.

(Something I ask everyone!) If you could have any supernatural power, what would it be?
I really love the X-Men, so I would probably take one of their super powers. The trick is that all super powers come with some kind of curse. I always thought having Cyclops’ laser eyes would be great… but then I realized I could never actually look at someone without killing them! I think I would choose to control the weather, though, like Storm. I’m never satisfied with the weather and having control over it would make me a much happier person.

If I mailed you my paperback copy of Ivy League, would you sign it and mail it back? (I could bribe you with a PA basket...)
Duh, yes!

What is something you want to learn? (Riding a bike? Formatting? Driving stick? Etc.)
I’ve recently become interested in learning to play the keyboard. I’ve also been dabbling in Roller Derby, so I think either of those can go on this list.

When a book makes you cry, you ______.
When a book makes me cry, I know I’ll read something else by the author. If an author has the ability to bring out emotion in me, they have proven to me, right then and there, that they have a special gift.

What was your favorite scene in Ivy League?
I think my favorite scene, other than the ending (because I can’t talk about that) is the scene when Jamie comes home from a date with Riley and basically everyone is waiting for him at his house, demanding answers. By this time in the story, he’s lied to so many people… it’s just really funny for me to see them all wanting the truth at the same time. My favorite TV show, Weeds, did something similar in one of its episodes, and I knew when I saw it that I had to incorporate it into Ivy League somehow. It was just too perfect.

The badminton scene in gym class... *write what you know* Do you feel the same way Jamie does about badminton?
The badminton scene was interesting to write. When I planned out the scene, I couldn’t decide on which sport they would be playing. I thought back to my own gym class and remembered having the exact same thoughts on badminton. The entire two weeks, I was very vocal about “why the hell are we doing this?!” Also, I knew in advance that Jamie was going to be “assaulting” Gabe to get his attention, so, I knew they couldn’t be practicing archery or anything too dangerous. Badminton seemed annoying enough and not too dangerous.
Find Christopher Waltz -


Tour Schedule

July 29
Christina http://crazybookchicks.blogspot.com –Review/Interview
Christopher Chapman http://ethancameron.blogspot.ca –Review

July 30
Rachel http://rachelwalterauthor.blogspot.com –Review/author interview

July 31

August 1

August 2
Emma Snow www.emzsnow.wordpress.com –Review/Playlist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Make Me Smile