Thursday, October 22, 2015

Introducing: Faith McKay

This week, Miss Faith McKay let me interview her!

Readers, this is Faith.

Faith McKay is the author of LIPSTICK & ZOMBIES and PROPHECY GIRL. She lives to write and only has bad days when she forgets that fact. When she’s not writing she can be found enjoying horror and comedy with equal abandon. When she’s found a good horror comedy you can hear her shouting things like “Ha! Right in the eye!” while giggling uncontrollably.


She grows a little weirder every day.



I have to say, I'm rather tickled this weirdo agreed to chat with a weird nugget like me. :) 


When did you realize you wanted to be a writer?

I don't remember having this realization, because I just always wanted to. I've always loved everything about books. I liked writing them. I drew little illustrations inside. I read them. I organized them on my shelf. I always wanted to be around books, in any way possible.

 In your experience, what has been the hardest part of your writing career?

Letting myself do what I do, so I suppose, doubt has been the hardest part. I question everything and it slows me down and spoils the fun and sometimes, at its worst, stops me from doing awesome things.

What’s your favorite quote?

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.” - Helen Keller

There are a lot of days where I feel like I can't. I'm chronically ill, so I do face things I truly cannot do a lot of the time. This quote always motivates me to remember not to focus on those things but to focus on the things I can do, even if it often feels like there aren't many of them. I can still do something.


What type of atmosphere do you need in order to write?

I have a tough time getting started for the day sometimes, so I do things to help cut off the world. I put on big headphones, put on loud music, and try to sit somewhere where I see the fewest amount of movement possible (if I'm in a library, I sit facing the wall or window). Once I get going I usually turn the music off. It's hard to notice the world around me once I'm in it.

Do you have any strange writing habits or rituals?

I name my first draft documents weird things, in capslock.

Lipstick & Zombies (Deadly Divas, #1) was called WRITE IT OUT
Blood & Glitter (Deadly Divas, #2) was called SEE SEQUELS ARENT SO HARD! OH SHUT UP

It makes me laugh when I notice it and that's a good way to start a writing session!



Top five books that have touched your heart and stayed there:

Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren (Yeah, I'm cheating! I'm naming a series!)
Matilda by Roald Dahl
Harry Potter by JK Rowling
Into the Forest by Jean Hegland
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern



What message or bit of advice would you give to aspiring writers?  How do you celebrate after typing THE END?

I'm combining these two questions you asked me, because THAT is my advice. My advice is to celebrate. Celebrate after you write the end, celebrate after you have a hard day writing, celebrate, celebrate, celebrate! There are a lot of days where what you're trying to do can feel impossible, and celebrating is a way to remember the things you've done before. If you can remember all those impossible things, it'll be easier to do the other impossible things ahead. 


Thank you so much for allowing me to interview you, Faith! It's been wonderful getting to know you a little bit! Keep on writing!

You can find out more about Faith McKay by visiting McKayManor.com or by following her on twitter. If you want to see all of her horrifying works in one place, you can check out her Amazon author page.




Here's a little about her book, Lipstick & Zombies

LIPSTICK & ZOMBIES (Deadly Divas, #1) 

WANTED. Five girls. Must be able to sing, dance, and kill zombies.

Five unknown students are desperate to change their lives.

They know they have what it takes to become one of the Deadly Divas.

Now they just have to prove it to what's left of the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Make Me Smile